Energy after the Fukushima reactor accident in Japan
The talk (video and slides) I delivered in the Saturday Morning Physics forum on the campus of the University of Michigan is a combination of history, public policy, and science issues surrounding energy generation, in the context of the recent Fukushima reactor accident.
University of Michigan
Scholardox - Publications
My research publications are elsewhere.
A note on intended audience:
"Particle Physics" is primarily for particle physics researchers.
"Education" is for students, professors and others interested in university education.
"Energy and Security" is for general audience interested in these issues, and springs from my membership on the APS Panel on Public Affairs.
"Variegations" is collection of miscellaneous topics mostly for general audience.
Apologies: comments are not enabled, although buggy software appears to invite them upon first posting.
- Completing Hirsch’s h index measuring scholarly impact
- How university enrollment pressures of the 1930s helped usher in the sexual revolution decades later
- The God Particle and Devil collaborate to give low Bacon-Erdös number
- Stanford University president compares American and German students, 1903
- A student petitions his professor, Russia 1899
- In praise of theory and speculation, with help from John Steinbeck
- The year I was married to Susan Sontag
- Supersymmetry finds its way into literary fiction
- Advice from the Soviet Union on how to become a great physicist
- Gaugino physics of split supersymmetry spectrum at the LHC and future proton colliders
- Study of the 125 GeV Standard Model Higgs Boson Partial Widths and Branching Fractions
- Energy and luminosity scaling of sensitivity to anomalous triple gauge boson couplings
- Advocating two-column landscape format for scholarly online articles
- How well do we need to measure the Higgs boson mass and self-coupling?
- The Utility of Naturalness, and its Application to Quantum Electrodynamics
- Suggestions for how to spell English in international reports
- Swiss Television Interview: Interactions of Art and Science
- English-German particle physics vocabulary
- Effective Theories in Physics: From Planetary Motion to Elementary Particle Masses
- Effective Field Theories and the Role of Consistency in Theory Choice
- Hidden-Sector Higgs Bosons at High-Energy Electron-Positron Colliders
- The CLIC Programme: Towards a Staged e+e- Linear Collider Exploring the Terascale : CLIC Conceptual Design Report
- CLIC e+e- Linear Collider Studies
- Physics performances for Z’ searches at 3 TeV and 1.5 TeV CLIC
- The CERN Theory Unit and the future of European High Energy Physics
- The Physics Case for an e+e- Linear Collider
- The physics benchmark processes for the detector performance studies used in CLIC CDR Volume 3
- How well do we need to measure Higgs boson couplings?
- Implications of gauge-mediated supersymmetry breaking with vector-like quarks and a ~125 GeV Higgs boson
- CLIC Conceptual Design Report released
- Finding exotic scalars through Standard Model Higgs boson search significance deformations
- ‘Frozen’ CLIC Conceptual Design Report ready for review
- Single top plus dijet resonance is key signature of top asymmetry new physics
- Advice on becoming a true scientist, from Arrowsmith
- Top quark and new physics
- Science background to North Korea’s nuclear bomb program
- Linear collider physics bibliography
- Top quark asymmetry at Fermilab and the Wjj excess
- The inevitability of Mercury’s anomalous orbit
- High-voltage DC power transmission
- Energy after the Fukushima reactor accident in Japan